- 1 4-pound piece watermelon, quartered
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 10 whole cloves
- 15 whole pink peppercorns
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 chili peppers, whole
- Fresh, raw ginger (as much as you can handle)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
I was very happy with my rinds. I’m a huge raw ginger fan and the combination of ginger, chili, and apple cider vinegar made for a really robust flavor, and one that works nicely when served with hot and spicy food.
While the idea of needing three days to complete this pickling process is not ideal for most people, it was a very quick daily process, and the smells that filled my kitchen were so satisfying, I’m actually missing the boiling and straining process already!