Today’s post was going to be a really cute Christmas craft. But I’m still feeling under the weather, and the Christmas craft is still an idea in my stuffy, stuffy head…
There are so many wadded up tissues on the floor right now, I could make a snow angel in them if I had the energy.
Homemade soup and a good sleep sound like two of my favorite things right about now. I threw together this chicken & barley soup and will be waiting for it’s healing properties to take effect.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 chopped leek
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chopped carrots
- 3 diced potatoes
- 6 chicken thighs, cooked and pieced
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth (I used frozen homemade chicken broth from the freezer)
- 1 1/2 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onions, leeks, celery, and garlic in oil until onions are tender. Stir in carrots, potatoes, chicken, and broth. Bring to a boil, then stir in barley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note, the potato and barley will thicken the soup quite a bit by day two, but it will be no less delicious.